The Roaring Fork Schools is excited to introduce Capstones. Capstones is a new program for graduating students that provides an opportunity for students to direct their own authentic learning experience while working with a mentor and building real-world, transferrable skills so that they are prepared for college, modern careers, and adult life. Capstones represents our commitment to ensuring all students have the knowledge, skills, and character to thrive in a changing world. All students must complete a capstone project to graduate. Check out this Capstones presentation to learn more.
The Roaring Fork Schools invites community members from all backgrounds to be a community expert to students! Student projects will be on a variety of topics and require varying levels of commitment. Some projects will require a one-time consultation with an expert, while other projects will need ongoing guidance over the course of the semester. The student and community expert will discuss how often and through what means they will communicate about the student’s project--this is truly an opportunity tailored to the student’s and community expert’s interests and preferences. Please note that community experts who meet with a student four or more times must submit fingerprints and get a background check per the Roaring Fork Schools' volunteer policy.
Learn more about the this new program!
- Post Independent article, "Capstone projects lead students to look deeper," November 2017
- Sopris Sun article, "A student led fundraiser for youth radio," November 2017
- Sopris Sun article,“School district introduces Capstone projects,” November 2016
- Post Independent article, "Roaring Fork School District high schools prep for new senior projects" November 2016
- Community/Parent Newsletter, August 2016, Capstones article
- CDE's video on the Roaring Fork Schools' Capstone Program